It’s been a busy week here in the North End for the Clean Water Project, here are some pictures to show you whats been going on!
Upper Albany Main Street’s first open house for area residents on the Clean Water Project was a success, with the contractors meeting with residents to explain the processes involved in sewer separation, and the community being able to see who is involved in improving their sanitation situation. A big thanks goes out to Luis Santos from Baltazar and H. Charmaine Craig from the Knox Parks Foundation for presenting at our open house.
Upper Albany Main Street has been collaborating with The MDC as the community liaison for the Burton Street Sewer Separation Project encompassing Burton St., Irving St., Magnolia St., and Sigourney St. We’re proud to announce our Open House on April 24th, 2010 at the MDC Ancillary office at 863 Albany Avenue from 10am to 1pm. Refreshments will be served alongside additional information pertaining to the project and the answering of any questions or concerns from any residents involved. We hope to see you there!
CNG has been hard at work on Sigourney St. finishing up installing their high pressure gas lines to prepare for Baltazar to begin separating the sewer lines and installing laterals of their own.
It’s a beautifully busy April day on the Avenue with Baltazar cutting into the asphalt to investigate other utility’s placements at the end of Burton Street as they continue preparations for the sewer separation, and CNG continuing their gas-line work on Sigourney Street in Hartford.
Upper Albany Main Street met with the MDC and Baltazar Contractors today for the Burton Street Sewer Separation Project pre-construction meeting to overview and outline the extent of the project and discuss planning with all parties involved.
So far over 50 waivers for plumbing inspection and work have been signed for the project, and Sigourney St. will be the first of the four streets encompassed in the project to be initiated with an expected groundbreaking this Spring.
Connecticut Natural Gas has begun utility work on Sigourney St. in the Upper Albany neighborhood of Hartford today, installing new gas laterals.
UAMS has been working with the MDC to keep the community informed on the progress with the Clean Water Project involving Burton St., Magnolia St., Irving St., and Sigourney Street. To all owners and residents: Beginning in March, the Metropolitain District (MDC) and Baltazar Contractors, Inc, will be working in your neighborhood to prepare for this sewer separation project. The initial work will include surveying current external and internal plumbing connections to the sewer system. The purpose of this project is to separate existing combined sewers and establish new laterals and connections to homes, which will reduce basement backups, street flooding and improve sewer function.
Please join us today, Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 6:30PM at our Outreach Office located at 863 Albany Avenue, Hartford for a project presentation and light refreshments.
Design Committee Meeting
February 11, 2010
Attendence: Celestia Simmons, Anothony Rinaldi, S. Keller, Doug Gemmell, Kevin Burnham, Yvette Mosely, Keith Tinker, Chris Grant, Glenn Geathers
Meeting– Meeting called to order at 10:15 AM by Marilyn Risi.
Minutes- Motion to accept the Minutes of January 14, 2010 by Marilyn Risi. Meeting was duly made and seconded. Unanimous.
Route 44 Improvement Project
- The submission for 2011 application to Larsen’s office is underway.
- Public Works is moving along with CROG for the infrastructure.
- By next week the Main Street Agency will submit for the pedestrian amenities.
- The city is also working with the MDC and DOT in order to combine the projects to reduce cost. The use of one single contractor will allow one agency to develop a contract for the project. Negotiations between MDC and DOT are taking place.
- There is a way to go before the contract is put together. There is a need for money from another source in order for this to work.
- The project is currently on track and moving forward.
- Construction documents are being prepared and a community meeting will be planned for the public.
- Expect to begin the project in the spring.
- Edgewood Street
- Currently under construction on the North side.
- There has been complete installation of both storm and sanitary lines.
- Currently working on lateral installation. Eighteen homes have been re-plumbed to date. Once this is complete plan to restore the road
- Burton Street
- Progressing to preconstruction activity.
- Anticipate spring start time.
- Baldisar has been contracted.
- Garden Street
- Paganelli was awarded the contract
- Preparatory work being done. Utility companies still working on movement of lines.
- Outreach efforts will be put out to bid.
- Sewer Project – Contract Number 2009-87
- The project includes the installation of approximately 900 feet of 48 inch reinforced concrete drain pipe by the micro-tunneling and open cut methods
- The installation of approximately 600-feet of 12-inch PVC sanitary sewer pipe via the open cut method.
- The installation of approximately 200-feet of 10-inch PVC storm sewer pipe via the open cut method.
- New building service connections.
- The installation of a new CSO regulator structure with slide gate, rehabilitation of the existing combined sewers on Albany Avenue, Garden Street and Liberty Street as indicated, and appurtenant work.
- The Work shall be located in the City of Hartford; in the State of Connecticut as shown on the Drawings and specified herein.
- Coastline will be moving out of 111 Homestead Avenue and Baltazar will move over to the corner of Homestead and Sigourney.
- Baltazar is temporarily located at 146 Homestead Avenue on the corner of Edgewood and Homestead.
- Closing has occurred with Exxon Mobile and the city now owns the property.
- There has been a request to meet with Clean Harbor Environmental in order to authorize a complete clean up of the remaining hot spots.
- Fuss and O’Neil will monitor cleaning in order to bring the property to proper commercial standards. The fence will also be brought up to the front of the property and mafia blocks will be removed.
- A new project sign is being manufactured and will be put out on Woodland.
- Currently working with Barbara McGrath to start advertising for a project manager.
- The city is in the process of recommending money for the position in order to help UADC get started and leverage additional money.
- The RFP is being finalized and environmental section has been added to the document.
- Complete history of the different projects that have taken place on the site will also be incorporated. Including test 1 and test 2.
- Subsurface remediation of the three properties is left for the site cleanup.
- They have received calls from a number of large developers. There is a big push coming from Rite Aid.
North West Jones School and Johnny Rodgers
- Received money from the Hartford Foundation to address the stabilization of the building. Contracts to be awarded.
- The CDBG application was submitted.
- Contact the project manager, Ralph Knighten (860-522-7687) for a report. Fred Smith, board representative, could also give an official update.
Meeting adjourned at 11:20
The next meeting will occur at 10:00AM at the Artists Collective on Thursday, March 11th, 2010.