The Upper Albany Merchants Association, Inc. (UAMA)
UAMA was incorporated in 1983 as an affiliation of small business owners and organizations in the Albany Avenue commercial district. It was reorganized in 2000 as a cooperative effort to deal with problems and conditions along the largest commercial strip in North Hartford. The Upper Albany neighborhood starts at Westbourne Parkway and stretches along Albany Avenue to Irving Street, bordered by Homestead Avenue to the south and Greenfield Street to the north. The area hosts more than 200 business owners, many of whom are storefront operators, business professionals, and service providers. Most are confronted with similar problems in varying degrees. These problems include limited capital, strong regional competition, community perception, and safety.
Our purpose is “To build a strong, responsive Merchant’s Association, with objectives of developing a communication network, providing technical assistance, organizing promotional activities, and increasing residents utilization of the commercial strip.”
- Access to low-interest loans through HEDCO
- Advocate and assistance with City Hall planning and zoning services
- Affiliation with the Metro Hartford Alliance
- Banners and Holiday Lighting
- Beautification Programs
- Business Development Workshops and Seminars
- Crime prevention and safety Programs (Hartford Police Department)
- Facade and Street Improvements
- Maintenance of the Avenue (Plantings and Litter Crew)
- Legislative advocacy
- Participation in Micro Business Incubator Program (University of Hartford)
The Upper Albany Merchants Association is an independent 501c3 non-profit organization. Upper Albany Main Street (UAMS) handles all administrative duties. For more information please contact Upper Albany Main Street at (860) 768-5747.
Join The Merchants Association:
Interested merchants must complete the application form and return to Upper Albany Main Street. Those who are interested may also visit Upper Albany Main Street at 1382 Albany Avenue, Floor 2, Hartford, CT 06112 to complete their application.